Bishop Salvatore Cordileone did something about five hundred Los Angelinos did last weekend: he got arrested for driving under the influence. According to the San Francisco Chronicle, Cordileone was caught at a DUI checkpoint in San Diego. Officers determined that he showed signs of intoxication and placed him under arrest.
On Monday, he stated that he “was found to be over the California legal blood alcohol level.” He also stated:
"I apologize for my error in judgment and feel shame for the disgrace I have brought upon the Church and myself. I will repay my debt to society and I ask forgiveness from my family and my friends and co-workers at the Diocese of Oakland and the Archdiocese of San Francisco."
What more can we ask? His attorney is probably asking him why he admitted to being over the legal limit. Sure, the police probably already had enough evidence and it will probably amount to nothing, but it sure won't help his case. If convicted, he faces up to three years of probation, two days in jail, fines, a license suspension, and an alcohol education class.
Cordileone also expressed his desire that some good will come out of this. Perhaps. Let's hope that his experience will deter others from driving drunk. If not, hopefully this list of the weekend checkpoints will:
Thursday, August 30, 2012
- DUI Checkpoint - Newport Beach - Northbound Newport Blvd. at Finley Ave from 8:00 p.m. to 3:00 a.m.
Friday, August 31, 2012
- DUI Checkpoint - Glendale, South Pasadena, Pasadena, Burbank, San Marino, San Fernando, West Covina, El Segundo, Gardena, Hawthorne, Hermosa Beach, Inglewood, Manhattan Beach, Palos Verdes Estates, Redondo, Torrance, Bellflower, South L.A., East L.A., Altadena, Santa Fe Springs, Antelope Valley, Bellflower (6pm-1am)
- DUI Patrol - Gardena
Saturday, September 1, 2012
- DUI Checkpoint - Baldwin Park, West Covina, Baldwin Park School Police, El Monte, Monrovia, Arcadia and Sierra Madre, West Valley, Central Area, Glendale, South Pasadena, Pasadena, Burbank, San Marino, and San Fernando
- DUI Patrol -Monterey Park, Alhambra, San Gabriel, Montebello, Downey, Whittier and Bell Gardens, El Segundo, Gardena, Hawthorne, Hermosa Beach, Inglewood, Manhattan Beach, Palos Verdes Estates, Redondo, Torrance, Gardena, Glendale, Long Beach
Sunday, September 2, 2012
- DUI Patrol - Baldwin Park, West Covina, El Monte, Monrovia, Arcadia and Sierra Madre, El Segundo, Gardena, Hawthorne, Hermosa Beach, Inglewood, Manhattan Beach, Palos Verdes Estates, Redondo, Torrance, Gardena, Hollenbeck Area
Monday, September 3, 2012
- MEP (Maximum Enforcement Period) - CHP and LA Sheriff's Department on Patrol
That's for Los Angeles County only. Surrounding counties will follow later this week.
- Discuss Your Case With a Los Angeles DUI Lawyer (FindLaw)
- 25 Years Later: Ingersoll v. Palmer's Checkpoint Guidelines (FindLaw's Los Angeles DUI Blog)
- Field Sobriety Tests: Do I Have To? Should I? (FindLaw's Los Angeles DUI Blog)
- Shocking News: Hammered Drivers Kill More Than Tipsy Drivers (FindLaw's Los Angeles DUI Blog)