With the Oscars concluding Sunday, it's worth noting that on more than one occasion, Oscar winners have caught the spotlight for their drunk driving arrests.
It's a nice way to remember that if you've had a brush with the law over a DUI, you're not alone. Even Oscar winners experience DUI issues.
Here are three Oscars winners who faced DUI charges:
- Roger Avary. Acclaimed producer and screenwriter Roger Avary, who bagged an Oscar for co-writing "Pulp Fiction" with Quentin Tarantino, pleaded guilty in 2009 to gross vehicular manslaughter and drunken driving after being involved in a fatal crash that resulted in the death of a friend, E! reports. Avary served eight months of his year-long prison sentence followed by five years' probation. The light sentence was due to Avary's remorse and lack of criminal history. He initially had a work release arrangement, but lost it when he repeatedly Tweeted about his prison stay.
- Reese Witherspoon. Last year, Oscar-winning actress Reese Witherspoon was caught on tape drunkenly arguing with an officer after her husband was pulled over for a DUI. She leaves everyone with a cautionary DUI tale: let the officer do his or her job and do not, in Witherspoon's words, obstruct "their justice."
- Robert Richardson. Legendary cinematographer Robert Richardson, who most recently won an Oscar for his work in "Hugo," was arrested on suspicion of drunken driving after he completely failed his field sobriety test, TMZ reports. At the police station, he allegedly blew nearly twice the legal limit. Like Avary, Richardson has worked with Quentin Tarantino, so maybe the director is a DUI bad luck charm...
As the afterglow of the glitz and glam of the Oscars fades from Sunday and find yourself envying the stars, you can find solace in at least one truth: no one is immune to DUI charges, not even Oscar winners.
- Browse Los Angeles DUI Lawyers (FindLaw)
- 'Partridge Family' Star David Cassidy Charged With DUI (FindLaw's Los Angeles DUI News Blog)
- Dharma's Greg, a.k.a. Criminal Minds' Thomas Gibson, Arrested for DUI (FindLaw's Los Angeles DUI News Blog)
- Devin Ebanks' DUI: What's He Facing? (FindLaw's Los Angeles DUI News Blog)